Wednesday, December 14, 2011

* Tis the season *

We seem to always have a crazy, busy week sometime right before Christmas and I guess this week is the week of busyness for us.

Monday, I was doing more chocolate covered crackers and peanut butter balls with my in - laws.  Ashlyn was not feeling the best, so after lunch I came home and cared for her.  I picked the kids up at school and managed to get a 2 mile run in.  I would like to get back to my every day running schedule, but with baby not feeling well and the colder weather, I just have to take the opportunity when I can.  I got back from running and showered and jumped into my pj's early.  When Mike got home from work at 5:30, the minute he walked in the door, I remembered we had people coming here for a 6:30 school meeting.  Sigh.  I hurried through supper, got combed and redressed and cleaned up the house.  Bed felt so good that night.

Yesterday, was another day of trying to fit too many things into my schedule.  Ashlyn didn't have the best night's sleep and was up twice through out the night.  She woke up not too bad but still not herself, happy baby.  I got the kids off to school, Mike went to work, and I got busy filling filo cups with fruit dip and topped them with fresh strawberry and kiwi and Mandarin orange pieces.  Every Christmas a friend of mine goes to Hershey and puts out a really nice display of holiday cookies, cheesecakes, and finger foods for the doctors, nurses and people on the 7th floor at Hershey Medical.  I make a bunch of these filo cups and a big batch of peppermint cookies.  I'm sure the people at the hospital were so blessed!  (Shakia is at Hershey again.  Please keep praying for her.  She got a normal cold but because of her birthmark type in her throat (I would spell it out but I'm not sure how it's spelled .....), it made it really hard for her to breath.  She will need to be there for 3 - 4 days again.  Mom and Mindy got to taste the foods that Sue took up.  I know any bit of cheer is helpful!  Pray that Shakia will be able to come home soon and for Jason and Mindy to have patience and wisdom with the doctors!)  Then I went to Ladies Bible Study and soaked in another great session!  Ashlyn did good!  I was home a little before heading off to the kids school play.  The play was cute and delivered a great message but Ashlyn was a bear!  She was soooo tired and would not sleep!  I was so ready to be back home and put her in her crib.  She slept for I think 20 minutes.  Why was she not relaxing and sleeping???  After supper, we all headed back to school for the evening program.  Again, Ashlyn was not good.  Mike and I took turns holding her in the back.  She finally feel asleep about 5 minutes before the program was over!!!  The kids were tired too but they did a great job in the program!  Good job guys!


 These cookies are great for Christmas platters!!!
Recipe:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup 10 x sugar
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
Frosting:
2 Tb. butter, softened
1 1/2 cups 10 x sugar
2 Tb. milk
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
* Mix butter and 10 x sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in extract.  Combine flour and cornstarch;
gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Shape in 1 inch balls.  Place 2 inches apart on
ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. 
Then beat butter until fluffy for the frosting.  Add the 10 x sugar, milk, extract and beat until smooth. 
Spread on cooled cookies and sprinkle with crushed candies.  Yield:  3 dozen *

* Filo fruit cups *

My pictures never turn out the best in the school gym.  I blame it on the lights or maybe from my photography????  Anyway, here is Matthew with his class getting ready to sing some songs and Hadassah is waiting to play a piano piece!

This morning, I got the kids up for school and Mike was already off for his Men's Bible Study.  Hadassah woke up with a cough and sore throat.  Matthew went on the bus by himself.  Hadassah laid on the couch sipping some hot tea.  When Ashlyn woke up, she woke up with a smile!!!  Praise the Lord!  Even though I was up with her at 3:30 AM again, she at least seems perked up this morning!  She ate some toast and drank a full bottle of formula.  (Yesterday, she only had 1 1/2 bottles all day!)  I think she is on her way to good health again!  At 7:50, Hadassah thought that maybe school would be better than laying on the couch all day.  She got dressed and finished her tea.  I drove her to school just in time for the day to start!

Ashlyn is now 37 weeks old.  She can crawl on hands and knees now but prefers to stand up!!!  She pulls herself up anywhere she can.  She's pushing through two teeth and I think that was her reason for fever and feeling well.?.  She loves mirrors and always waves to herself.  When she sees herself in a mirror she says, "Hi."  We really think she's saying it but all her other baby talk is just blabber.  She waves goodbye to people too!  She's growing and still really loves her older siblings and especially her daddy and aunt Lena!!!!

(You can tell in her eyes that she's not feeling the best but getting better!!!)


 Ginger and Ashlyn are friends ... (Ginger needs a haircut really bad!)
 See ... she waves good bye.  Hint, hint mom?


I have the whole day at home today!  Thank goodness!  I hope to get some more gift wrapping done and laundry finished!

Be blessed and through life's challenges (and let me tell you sick kids are a challenge!), keep the spirit of Christmas!  Be happy when things around you seem sad.  Be grateful when your surroundings are tough.  Be merry ... because Jesus was born for you!!!