Thursday, June 14, 2012

Yummy Pizza Sauce!

Yesterday, we did pizza sauce.  It seems like my "canning season" has begun!  I love to fill up my cellar shelves with fresh foods!  It's the easiest way to create a fast, healthy supper when I need something quick.  It's great for those meals when you really don't feel like spending a lot of time in your kitchen cooking.

We had originally wanted to go to the pool again with my mom and sister.  I woke up to over cast skies and the air had a chill.  No humidity!  But, with a cool breeze and cold water, we thought that would be a bit tough of the little ones.  So, we decided to get together anyway!  Love doing that!  We mixed up two (yep, just two :) ) batches of pizza sauce!  We cooked it and mixed it in my garage!  It smelled so yummy!  It looks great too!

Now, I have jars that are filled and sealed with pizza sauce!  I can't wait to use it for spaghetti, lasagna, and dipping sauce!

 Here's the recipe ...

12 Qt. Tomato Sauce
Boil and add:
4 chopped onions and peppers each.  Boil for 20 minutes and add:
2 C. Brown Sugar
2 T. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 T. Basil Leaves
2 T. Oregano
1 T. Thyme
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Cilantro Leaves
1/2 tsp. Celery Salt
1 T. Ground Mustard
3 Bay Leaves
1/2 C. Parsley Flakes
Let this boil till you have enough room to add:
1 - 28 oz. bottle of ketchup
Boil again till you have enough room to add:
1/2 C. Clear Jel (dissolved in a 1/2 C. water)
Let this thicken and then pour into jars and cold pack for 10 minutes!

(Thank you Rosie for the delicious recipe!  I am sure it will be a family favorite from now on!)

 We used two 12 Quart Kettles because we doubled the recipe.  As you can see it does fill them to the very top. 
The smell was unbelievable!  So good!  My whole garage never smelled so good!  :)
 We filled some quarts and pints.  One recipe will give you 12 Quarts of sauce.  I like to have some pints too just for my smaller recipes or for a dipping sauce.  Enjoy!!!