Friday, October 19, 2012

Soups ... soups ... soups!!!

With all this soup mixing and cooking - I think I am ready for cold weather and easy suppers!

On Wednesday, we gathered at my moms to make soups!  Soups for easy winter suppers!  I picked to make Spaghetti Soup.  Jody picked Chicken Noodle and Fannie Lynn wanted some Potato Soup.  Mom and Mindy helped with the work too and soup we did mix.  We did cook.  We did stir and put into jars.  We then put it in our cookers and canned them all for three hours! 

We do it every time ... LOTS!  Every time we get together we work!  We do something in huge quantity!  (Like 1000 ears of corn!  Boxes of grapes.  And over 100 quarts of soup!)  It's the fun way of doing all that work though!  Being together and laughing and talking makes any work just a bit lighter!

The recipe I used for my soup was from the Farehaven School Cookbook.  It's called "Spaghetti Soup to Can".  I changed the recipe just a tad.  This is what I used.

3 lb. spaghetti noodles, cooked just until water is about to boil, drain
3 lb. hamburger
3 stalks celery
1 qt. chopped carrots
1 gallon Great Northern Beans
2 Lg. Onions
1/2 lb. butter
4 gallons tomatoes juice
6 Tb. salt
3 cup brown sugar

Brown hamburger and onions with the butter.  Mix all ingredients together.  Put in jars and cold pack for 2-3 hours.  Don't fill the jars too full or they wont seal.  Makes 35 Qt.

These are the pictures I captured with my iPhone.  Not real good ... but it's proof we did all this work!  Here's my spaghetti soup being mixed and jarred.


Ready for lids.  Also jarring our chicken noodle soup.  We had a recipe that said to layer our ingredients in each jar ... so we did.  After all the food was in the jars we poured in the broth.

 
 
...............................
 
It's a rainy Friday.  My washer and dryer are going.  My hot tea, sweetened with honey, is almost all drank!  My Christmas CD is still in our Bose and playing softly.  I just love that CD and we are all spruced up with the Christmas music a tad early this year!  :)
 
I am hoping when the rain stops, it will dry enough for me to mow the yard.  We've got a weekend to look forward to and some birthday parties that the kids will be participating in. 
 
Be a beacon of light wherever your path leads you this weekend!  Shine for Jesus!!!