Friday, April 19, 2013

Gardening ...


When it comes to growing food and gardening, lets just say we try our best.  I grew up with mom having a garden but it was not something she enjoyed a whole lot.  Thanks to Mommy D. she helped us along and kept the garden always looking so nice!  Now it's my turn to teach my children about gardening.  I feel like I am learning with them. 

When I first decided to have a 'raised bed' for our garden, it was pretty much learn as I go.  I kept asking Mike's mom or my mom questions.  I hardly knew the difference between the plants.  Everything looked the same to me when it was still in the ground growing.  I feel like I did learn a lot since then and I am able to label most veggies now when I look at other gardens!!! :)

I have stuck to the basics for a few years and then last year we took a step farther and planted a few 'new to us' vegetables.  Considering that my garden is not real big, we have it maxed out this year.  I'm not even sure where I will plant my tomatoes and pepper plants???  I hoped that after the sugar peas are done growing and harvested, I could then plant my peppers and tomatoes in that spot.  I am realizing though that I will want my plants in before the sugar peas are over.  What now???

I am posting pictures on this post for my personal interest only.  I don't care who has or has not a garden.  It's not a pressure thing for me.  It is so much fun walking out across the lawn and picking fresh vegetables and then serving them on the supper table to my family and friends!!! 

If you have an interest in gardens, take a look at my simple growings ...

STRAWBERRY PLANTS - I have only a few plants.  I wish for a much bigger crop at times and really should make another raised bed just for these sweet berries!!!  We love them so much!


One pack of SPINACH goes a long way for us!  I'm sure we will have plenty to share!  :)


 CUT LETTUCE - In my opinion, there's not a salad that's better than with "fresh cut lettuce" and tossed in a creamy dressing!  Hopefully, I will share some family favorite recipes using this lettuce in a few weeks!


 BUTTER CRUNCH LETTUCE - This is my favorite bunch of lettuce.  It's got a tasty, sweet taste and so yummy mixed with fresh spinach or in a dish all by itself topped with sweet tomatoes and cheese!  Oh, yeah!!!


RADISHES - I grabbed two packages of radishes and it made four small rows.  I always think of my brother Jason when I plant these because I know he likes them so much!  They are delicious with some salt sprinkled on top and then popped into your mouth!

SUGAR PEAS - This is the first year I planted these.  My kids love any kind of peas and last year they devoured some sugar peas that were given to us!  They are not cheap at road side stands, so I decided to plant some for us at a much cheaper cost!  :)  I hope they do well and grow us some nice peas! 

As Mike and I were out putting in the wood posts and wire last night, he just had to say how this brings back childhood memories for him.  He hated working in the garden as a little boy.  Now, it's not so bad!!!  :)

CANDY ONIONS - Just got these in the garden this week.  They are still very small but will grow into nice, sweet onions.  Perfect with homemade mixed hamburgers on the grill!


MEADOW TEA - I have a huge section right behind the house of this wonderful herb!  Meadow Tea is something we all love to drink and I think I might even be able to pick some to make this afternoon!  Cold Meadow Tea on a hot day spells S-U-M-M-E-R!!!  Refreshing!


MY GARDEN - Here's a view of everything growing!  I have carrots growing in there too and they are just beginning to sprout through the ground.


It's a challenge to keep after the weeds and have the bunny's and birds not feast off of our yummy food growing! 

I still have tomatoes, pepper plants, oregano, basil, parsley, cucumbers, egg plant and sunflowers (not to eat but just for their bright yellow and orange colors) to add to all of this.  All of these will take the spots of the radishes and peas when they are finished and harvested. 

I also got another watermelon plant.  Last year, Matthew wanted to grow watermelon, so we planted one plant and it took over my flowerbed!  As you can see, if we plant it in the garden, there will be no room for anything else.  We might just have to put it out front in the flower bed again!  Matthew smiled big when I told him I bought another plant for him to plant this year!  He was so proud of his 40 pound watermelon last year!  It was huge!  Maybe we can beat that weight this year!!!?!!!

Wish me a good growing year!!!  :)  Send me a comment if you have any suggestions!