Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dienners Dinner, plus!

The busy week has begun and we are doing fine!  Really.  I have things to blog about but by bedtime, I chose to go to sleep instead of sitting at the computer.  I am trying hard to get this posted before my events tonight.

Here's a bit of our past weekend ...   

We went to church and tried to soak in all the scripture and songs and words spoken in between Ashlyn squirming and not having the best manners at church!  Her daddy came to my rescue and kept her in his arms the rest of the sermon!  Thanks Hun!

We came home relaxed, knowing that my huge warmer full of chicken corn noodle soup was hot and steaming in the warmer.  We had a 1 PM dinner with the Dienner Family and I was taking the soup.  I was happy to walk through the doors after church and seeing it steaming hot.  I lifted the lid to give it a big stir.  A nasty smell came rushing out and I was like ... what?  Why does this stuff stink so much.  I scooped a small bit out into a dish and tried it.  It didn't seem to taste too bad but it was flat in the taste.  I dumped some salt and extra chicken stock in it and gave it another stir.  Another taste.  Still not tasting right.  I got Mike to try some before he rushed out the door for a quick run before our big meal.  He too didn't think it tasted terrible but not really good either.

What now?  I called mom and asked her to come quick and try it.  If she thought it tasted terrible, I was going to have to make another batch ... QUICKLY!  She said she wouldn't have time to stop and try it.  I called my sister and thought maybe she could come.  She also made soup, oyster soup, and they were ready to head off slowly to the dinner so the soup wouldn't spill out over onto their van.  "This is crazy", I thought.  What happened to my good soup?

Oh, well.  Here goes another batch.  I started cooking my noodles and added all my ingredients fast!  All the while, Ashlyn was not a happy camper and my other kids were fighting over the games.  I stopped and please asked them for their patience and help with baby.  I was really wishing Mike's run could have been avoided but too late now.  He was out the door and probably on the way back!

Mike dumped all the hot soup out and the smell was nasty.  Sometime during the cooling and refrigerating the soup, it spoiled.  Never happened before to me, but I was so happy I had all the ingredients to quick whip together another big batch.  I did thank Jesus for His help too!!!

We rushed out the door and we were only 10 minutes late.  Not bad, right?  So much for being all relaxed!  We ate the good dinner and exchanged gifts.  The event was fun!

At 3:00, I took Ashlyn to Mike's mom.  The rest of us met with Dutchies and we all went together in one van to tour the "Holly Trail".  Our church had six homes open for us to tour and see all their Christmas decor plus taste all the yummies!

The night was a blast.  We did have to settle some fights about if the boys or girls were having the back seat!  They just couldn't understand why being fair is not always the right answer! 

--------------------------------------------------------

Monday began with getting the kids off to school and laundry washed.  Then to Bible Study.  Ashlyn normally does fine with the babysitters there, but today she just refused to stay downstairs.  I hope she wasn't too much of a distraction for the other ladies! 

We threw a baby shower for Lena last night.  I baked two dozen chocolate cupcakes and topped them with 'better cream' icing.  The night was fun and she got lots of things!

--------------------------------------------------------

I had my alarm clock set a bit earlier for this morning, because I needed to have 90 filo cups filled with fruit dip and topped with fruit by 8 AM.  Plus get the kids off to school on time.  Plus have a toddler pulling on me for my full attention. 

Done.  I did it.  Whew!

Ashlyn and I then went to mom-in-laws to chocolate cover crackers for the employee banquet.  It was fun.

It's a busy time of year but we are loving the season!  Enjoy your evening.  Off to more Christmas events!!!  :)