Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Season of White.

We got snow last night and now everything is bright and shiny from the sunshine gleaming off of the white snow.  It was predicted to snow a few inches and that's what we got.  Just enough to make the roads become a mess!  I was SO ready to get off the roads late yesterday afternoon!!!  It's our turn to clean our church and we really didn't want to cancel the plans because of other events later this week and Wednesday's tempts don't look good to be out traveling around!  I asked Hadassah to help me clean and because Jenna Martin was here, she went along too.  Jenna had plans to leave for her home after cleaning so the girls drove separate.  I was hesitant about this but figured Hadassah would come home with me after we were done cleaning.  It was only flurrying when we left the house.  The girls helped clean and we were finished in an hour!  By now, the snow was really coming down.  The girls left just before I did and I guess they thought Jenna would go home the way we go home.  (Sometimes I don't know when to talk or when to be quiet.  I was nervous about them driving in the snow and I told Hadassah to just go with me … but no.  Not cool, Mom.  Not cool.)

We weren't on the road long when Hadassah calls me and says Jenna's car can't go in this snow.  They couldn't make it up Rt. 10's hill.  Thankfully, they didn't get stuck and were able to turn around and make it back to Honey brook.  But I had four wheel drive and I was able to go.  When Hadassah called I was creeping up the hill myself and I didn't want to stop.  I made it to 340 and then asked 'now what?'  The girls are still in Honey brook.  I was able to drive but the roads were getting worse every ten minutes.  I called Mike but he was in Lancaster.  I called Juanita because that's where the girls parked Jenna's car.  I hoped Merv could bring the girls to 340 for me and we would be on our merry, snowy way home.  Merv was attending one of their puppies and couldn't.  My only option was to let the girls there (which was not happening) or go back for them!!!!!  SIGH!!!!  I'm not scared to drive on snowy roads but the tempts were dropping, other cars where along the roads, the snow was still falling but off I went back to Honey brook.  I decided to take back roads and avoid as many hills as possible!  I made it!!!  Picked the girls up and we started back home another route.  I really didn't want to go that big hill along Rt. 10.  I made it once but this was now 45 minutes later and I wasn't into the challenge of doing it again!!!  We crept home and many cars were spinning their wheels on the side of the highway.  Big trucks were pulled off the road.  It took me from 4:00 - 5:45 to get back home!!!!  I confessed this morning about my attitude because I was NOT HAPPY about how it all was.  The girls could have/should have just went with me.  Because now Jenna's car is still in Honey brook and she was snowed in at our house for the night.  I was VERY grateful that we made it home safe and sound!!! 

It's a different feeling having a teenager out driving on these wet, snowy, icy roads.  When Hadassah left for school this morning (thank you two hour delay), she had her defrost on high blast, scrapped her windows and drove slowly!!!  I know she has to learn but I was nervous!!!

We had a two hour delay for school this morning and that gave the children some extra time to bundle up and go play in the snow!  I wished they would make a snowman because I like those but instead they checked on the chickens, jumped on the snow covered trampoline and ran in the snow.  Austin was thrilled to use his new shovel!!!





I'm a wimp when it comes to going out in the cold snow.  I just want to stay inside.  Drink warm drinks.  Watch it snow while putting together a puzzle.  Or scrap booking! 

Scrap booking is a winter project that I usually have good intentions on doing.  Last week, I decided to sit down and pull out those photos and papers and start filling those scrapbooks!  When I was all set up and ready to begin, I realized I was out of my regular tape and only had small individual square tapes and no pages!!!  Those are two things that are kinda on the top of the "must need to scrapbook".  I decided to use my tape and just deal with each small piece.  And because I have so much paper, I tape pictures on whole sheets of paper!  It worked good!  Now when I purchase pages, I just need to tape the paper pages right on the real book pages!!!  I got a lot done and it's a good start for the scrap booking season!

This was actually when I was purging and organizing my scrap booking things the other day.  I still have that January Declutter on my mind but I went through our home and discarding so much stuff.  I stopped focusing on the day number and just cleaned out!  I have the garage to tackle yet but that's going to wait till Spring!






My dear husband is still working on this basement of ours!!!  I saw that last year this time, I was posted that Mike's working on this same room in the basement.  All that got done last winter was he framed up the walls.  Now, we really are in the home stretch!!!  I hoped it would be done for Super Bowl but not quite.  You see that beam?  Mike doesn't like anything "normal" when it comes to remodel and redoing, so he is grinding down the beams coating and taking it down to it's original steel color.  It's going to be so pretty when he's finished but he has way too much patience with this!!! I would have just been content with the original. 

This basement is going to be so nice and I'm really ready for the dust to stop and that horrible steel smell to quit.


Carpet is ordered and going to be delivered in the end of February!!!!



And here are a few window pictures I took this morning!!!




Winter time keeps us inside an awful lot but I have become to embrace it.  And actually enjoy it.  For years, I hated winter.  I didn't like the cold.  Snow was fun but I didn't actually like to bundle up and go out in it.  Since we remodeled our home, it gave us much more natural light!  And with the sun shining today and the snow right outside the door, it's bright in my house.  I love that! 

The tempts today are only in the teens but the kids are off to school and the "little man" is here with me at home.  The laundry is getting done.  The wind is picking up outside and I'm glad I can be inside today!!!

This is our season of white.  Enjoy it!!!