Friday, October 28, 2011

~ A Baking Friday ~

SNOW???
While I was helping the kids get ready for school this morning, I heard the weather forecast on the radio in the background and suddenly I said, "What?"  They are forecasting snow, 3 - 6 inches, for tomorrow.  Wow, wasn't really thinking snow already and I still have some flowers outside that need moved in!!!  Of course, the kids were really excited!
BAKING ...
I've been baking up a storm the last few hours.  We have some events the next few days that required me to make some desserts.  My family absolutely goes nuts when there are homemade chocolate chip cookies setting on the kitchen counter.  I made a big batch yesterday and stuck most of them in the freezer for future use, but I did keep around 8 cookies on a plate for my hubby and kids.  When I was packing school lunches this morning, there were no more cookies around!  I went to the freezer and grabbed two for the lunches and a few more for my cookie jar!  We love, love this cookie recipe and if you want to make them too, here is the marvelous recipe:

Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
* Mix these together *
Add:  4 eggs
1 cup instant vanilla pudding
2 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips

Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes or just until browned! 
Yield:  I think it makes around 4 dozen cookies!  It's never enough!


Then I baked a cheesecake!  I love recipe books and if you do not have the cookbook called "Simply Wonderful" done by Honey Brook Community Church, you must put it on your Christmas list!!!  I love this cookbook and use it almost daily.  The recipes are so good!!!  This recipe comes from that cookbook.  I wish I could cut a slice and show you the inside of this creamy cheesecake, but it's still warm and I don't want it falling apart. 

Pumpkin Cheesecake
Crust: 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

Filling:  24 oz. cream cheese
1 cup brown sugar
2 cup pumpkin, drained
2 Tb. cornstarch
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
5 oz. evaporated milk
2 eggs

Topping:  2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

* Mix crumb mixture and press into a 9" - 10" spring form pan.
* Mix cream cheese and sugar, then add pumpkin, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Mix well. 
Gradually beat in eggs and milk; pour into crust.  Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.
* Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla.  Pour onto cheesecake and return to oven. 
Bake for 5 minutes longer.  Cool on rack for 10 minutes.  Carefully run knife around edge of pan. 
Lift side ring off and cool for 1 hour.  Chill overnight.


Then I baked some Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies.
2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup milk
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cup flour
1 pkg. mini chocolate chips

* Cream sugar and butter, blend in eggs.  Add dry ingredients alternating with milk and vanilla.  Add chocolate chips last.  Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet. 
Bake at 350 for 10 -12 minutes.  Fill with vanilla icing.


With all these sweets in the house, I must keep them a secret or put them in places that the kids and hubby won't find them until they are ready to be eaten!

I hope you have a great start to your weekend!  Who knows???  Maybe we will wake up to some fluffy, white, wet snow on the back porch tomorrow morning!  I usually say, "If it's going to be cold ... it might as well snow!"

Be blessed!!!