Friday, March 16, 2012

Dirt ...

This past week, we have been digging our toes and fingers in a lot of dirt!  Our soil is so rich in our area and with this lovely weather, we have been digging!

We just have a small raised bed for our garden.  It has strawberries plants growing on the one side and then I like to fill the rest up with vegetables.  After putting on some fertilizer and hoeing it in really good, Hadassah helped me plant some stuff. 

I planted two packs of radishes last Saturday.  This week, Hadassah and I planted Buttercrunch lettuce, Great Lakes Head lettuce (new for me), Spinach, Black Simpson cut lettuce, and Onions.  I am trying some new plants this year.  I never planted onions before.  I know every corner will be filled after we are finished with all our planting.  Planting and harvesting are the fun jobs and I know keeping after the weeds will be work, but hopefully worth it!

   




Mike and Matthew have been playing lots of baseball in the back yard all week.  They use the wheel barrel for the back stop.  Matthew's got his ball bag spread wide open!  Spikes are tied and in use!  Mike pitches over hand and fast!  Matthew takes on the challenge and swings hard!  He's good!  He hits the ball and it sores high in the warm air!  Mike is really impressed how he is improving from last year already!  Matthew is saying no to little league this spring.  I think he would just rather play with his dad!!!

Hadassah has been helping me with weed pulling and planting, but in between she is putting lots of miles on our little scooter!  She rides and rides all around the drive way!  Then she gets the soccer ball and kicks it back and forth in the yard.  Oh, how nice it is to be outdoors in this warmer weather!

Ashlyn loves it outside too!  Last night, the boys were playing ball and she was inside the back door watching.  What a tease!  She was so whiny and wanted to be outside too.  She got her way for a just a bit and then inside with her toys!

Mike's been busy getting lots ready for the 2012 shed business.  Some of their lots are closed during the winter and now they need some cleaning up and the open sign on the door!

Me ... well I am working at my spring cleaning.  Still have a little to do.  The outside work is pushing me in full speed too.  We have so much spring work, but it looks so nice when it's all done!  Running is still on my daily list of "must do's".  Even though the warm weather makes for more work, I try to take the time to run.  I have to purpose in my mind to get it done, because it can be a strong temptation to say no.  It's easy to say that I am getting extra exercise from the work outside (truly it is), but that seems to be just more of an excuse rather than burning more calories.  Also, this week I have been grilling for our suppers.  Yummy!!!  I love using the grill for steaks and chicken and veggies! 

I have been thinking every day about our revival meetings we had at church the beginning of the week.  The last night a lot was stressed on "rejoicing in the Lord" and not to worry.  I tried to be more joyful this week and surely the verse in Philipians that says, "Rejoice in the Lord, and again, I say rejoice" really means just that! 

Rejoice with me today in a new day.  Another warmer day.  Some rain came last night to water my seeds that were just planted and that makes me rejoice.  Rejoice if your family is healthy!  Rejoice if your husband has a job and food in your fridge!  REJOICE!!!

Have a great weekend!!!