Thursday, May 10, 2012

Rhubarb Bread

As a child, we never had much rhubarb foods at home.  If we did, I told myself that I didn't like it.  (I now have that as a pet peave when my kids say they don't like it before they try it.  Matthew was brave and tried this bread last night.  He even said it was good!  Hadassah and Mike have a few things to learn yet about the word rhubarb!!!) 

Just a few years ago, I tasted some of my mother-in-laws rhubarb mush.  It was delicious!  I haven't made this recipe yet this spring.  Maybe that will be for next week?!

I love to try new recipes and so since rhubarb in the in season vegetable right now, rhubarb has since been in my fridge.

This week is teacher appreciation week at our school.  I decided to bake some bread for each teacher.  Right now I have four mini loaves of Rhubarb Bread baking in my oven!!!  I love the smell it is giving to me!  I am sure the taste is going to even be much, much better!!! 



... RHUBARB BREAD ...
1 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cup finely diced rhubarb

Mix the brown sugar and oil.  Blend in the egg, vanilla and buttermilk.  Combine four, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; add to moist ingredients.  Stir in the rhubarb.  Pour the mixture into two well greased 4x8 loaf pans.  (Or do as I did and make four smaller loaves.)  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans to wire racks.
...............................................

:) :) :) :) :)

I keep getting texts with this little gesture (  :)  ) at the end of some sayings.  I just thought that maybe the person has a different phone than I do and that it is to be an exclamation point or something?  Must be a blond moment for me but the other day someone said it's a smiley face.  "Oh, right!  Now I see it!!!"  How many more texting gestures am I missing???  I like it now!  No more annoyance!

...................................................

This little girl is caught in the act of going outside!  She loves it out there on our back porch.  She knows how to open the screen door by herself now and that can sometimes cause the need to close the glass door now too! 

She's not a swing lover that much UNLESS it's with her daddy.  Mike holds her and goes really slow back and forth.  I think the swinging motion too much makes her scared!  She pretty much CLAIMS Mike the second he comes in the door each evening.  The other kids and I like to tease Ashlyn by saying "my daddy" and kissing him all over.  She starts pushing us all away!

Going outside ...
 Her facial expressions are way too cute!!!

.....................................................

 This is just adorable!!!
The other night, Hadassah and I were snapping pictures of this cutie! 
Here's one Hadassah captured!  (Then I did a little editing! :) ) 


She's growing!  She has two teeth on the top and bottom.  Her first top molar is peaking through. 
I love to give her big squeezes and kiss her under her chin!  That always gets her in a giggle!

Enjoy your babies and children!

"I love you so much Ashlyn!"