Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Strawberries!!!

My family loves when strawberry season roles around.  I had made some strawberry danish last week and because I still had some of that setting in the fridge, I decided to surprise the kids and hubby with mini strawberry pies for their dessert last night.

I made one pie crust and divided it in four small bowls.  Baked it for 20 minutes.

My strawberry patch is still growing berries but are not ripe yet, so I stopped at a near by road side stand and bought two quarts for $3.75 a piece!  (Not a bad price for the start of the season!!!)  I hid them in the fridge and while the kids were playing outside after school, I washed them and sliced them.  I mixed them with the glaze and dabbed some cool whip on top.  Tadaaa ...



I wish these were my own strawberries that grew in my garden, but they are not.  I planted new plants last year, so my strawberry picking will be on the lean side this summer.  But we are so blessed to have many options as to where to buy these wonderful, sweet berries in our area!  There are also way too many foods that I would love to feed my family loaded with these fruits!  Short cake!  Granola Parfaits with yogurt, granola, and fruit!  Smoothies.  Crushed berries and poured over homemade ice cream!  Defiantly, Chocolate Covered Strawberries is the top of our list, and because we still have Easter bunnies around here, we will be melting them and using that for our dipping!  I can't wait!  Maybe, just maybe, I will do some today!!!  Why not?


Don't miss out of the good, fresh, healthy eating!  Grab a quart for yourself and enjoy!!! 
Cold strawberries go so well with our warm forecast for today!!!  This makes me very happy!