Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Summer here?

Our weekend was absolutely gorgeous!  The weather was sunny and bright.  Warm and clear skies.  Calm and very enjoyable!

We had two campfire invitations and when we are invited to a friends house, we show up!!!  :)  Gotta love all our friends!

Because last week was a week of adventure in my kitchen, we grabbed some fun foods to take along to our friends homes.  For some reason, I was so into cooking, strawberries and foods last week!?!  Take a look at our fun foods ...

I made a supper for one of our good friends.  They just had a baby boy.  I remembered some cute cake pops online, so I pulled up the recipe.  I also had some left over cake in the freezer from another event I used.  I took some chocolate cake and mixed it with a small bit of chocolate icing.  Just enough to make it stick and shape into a small balls.  Then I stuck them in the freezer for 20 minutes.  Melted some more of our Easter bunny chocolate.  Dipped the end of a lolly pop stick in melted chocolate and poked it into the cake balls.  Let it dry for about 1 minute and then dip the entire ball into melted chocolate.  Quickly, sprinkle with some candies and set in a foam.  You need to work fast because the chocolate dries quick against your cold cake. 

Easy and cute.  I am sure there are lots of other prettier containers to stick these pops into, but this is what I had on hand.  Get creative!!!

I am going to make a big batch of these for this weekend!  I think Memorial Day will be sweeter with these for the kids!


Short cake is something my family loves.  I saw this recipe for a Hot Sponge Cake and tried it. 
It was good but not as good as shortcake.  :(
Strawberry milkshakes ... Saturday was so gorgeous and warm outside.  The kids even had the sprinkler going and swimsuits on.  They asked for strawberry milkshakes!  Delicious!

My favorite summer breakfast has finally arrived for this year!  I took an adventure and made my own homemade yogurt on Saturday evening.  I didn't realize when I started that it would take so long to make, but it is good!  Cooking a gallon of milk to 180 degrees without it sticking and making a mess on the bottom of your pan, calls for slow cooking and patience.  Then you add some ingredients and cool it to 110 degrees.  Add some more ingredients and let it set in the oven (with only the oven light turned on) for overnight.  Now, I have this huge container of fresh, maple sweetened yogurt in my fridge.  Not hard, but it does take some time!

Now, I put some yogurt in a bowl.  Then top it with some delicious granola and then more yogurt.  Cut up some fresh strawberries and that's my breakfast!

On Sunday night we went to a cookout and I took along some Strawberry Brushetta.  I found a recipe from Annies Eats online (I love her blog!) but had to change it just a bit.  I mixed some cream cheese with Italian seasonings and spread it on some broiled Italian bread slices.  Then I topped it with a fresh strawberry mixture.  Look up the recipe because it's really good!


This week seems a bit different in the kitchen.  I am not feeling so adventurous.  We are finishing up the last days of school and the kids each have projects and awards that I will be attending.  My meals will have to be a bit more simpler. 

If this is a week of fun in your kitchen, I would love to hear about it!!!