Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rare Skin Disease

I don't know what's going on around here with our skin issues but this is enough now!!!  Hadassah has a rare skin disease on her legs, Matthew's legs are doing much better from his eczema, and Mike is itching the tops of his feet from a reaction to his golfing shoes. 

Last Thursday, I noticed that Hadassah was breaking out with some sort of rash on her legs.  Not itchy.  Small red dots turned into small rashes.

We went to the cabin for the weekend.  Her legs never seemed to bother her until we got home.  She walked into the house and went right on to the couch because both her feet and ankles were swelled up.  By now the rash looked a lot like a bad poison ivy rash but still not itchy.  Her ankles really hurt and she had them propped for the whole evening.

She went to school on Tuesday, but I had this feeling she wasn't going to make it there all day.  At 10:30, I got a call from school saying that Hadassah's legs were really hurting and bothering her.  After making a few quick phone calls, I went to pick her up.  I called my doctor to ask a few questions.  I called my mom and asked if there's an poison ivy or oak that doesn't itch but swell.  I called my sister to ask for her knowledge.  Everyone seemed to say the same thing, "Take her to the doctor and find out what it is."  Everyone that is ... except for Mike.  He goes to the doctor only when really, really necessary.  I am always too anxious to make an appointment for sicknesses.  Hadassah and I stopped at his parents house for mom's opinion and Mike was there working and he gave me the OK to get it checked out.

3:45 PM.  I had the AC turned on in the van because it was 90 degrees outside.  Hadassah was wrapped up in a blanket and cold.  Strange.  We walked into the doctors.  Well, actually, Hadassah hobbled into the office.  When her legs hurt really bad, she walks stiff like a robot.  Her ankles really hurt and were swollen.  The nurse took one look at her legs and said, "I am guessing that that is why you are here today."  Right.

The doctor took a look and gave it a name called:  Henoch-Schonlein Purpura.  It's a rare skin disease that can come from a respiratory infection, a cold, belly ache, cough or virus.  Hadassah was home sick from school last Tuesday with most of the symptoms that were mentioned.  This skin issue usually doesn't show up till around 8 days later. 

She did a urine test and some blood work to make sure her kidney's are not being affected by this.  All the tests came back good!!!  PTL!  The cure ... it has to take it's course.  Drink lots of fluids.  Get rest.  The worse case can last up to a few weeks. 

We are praying and hoping that Hadassah's skin will be healed fast and soon and that the swollen and sore ankles will not hurt anymore.  The rash is still going up her legs, so please join us in prayer that it will stop growing and be gone forever.  This is not something that is contagious.  Nothing real serious, just a bit painful and annoying for Hadassah.

If you happen to think of her (or me :) ) the next few days and weeks, please pray for healing!

Here she is tonight with an ice pack on the swelling and the blanket is for elevation.  Her legs seem the worse at night when she's been on her feet a lot.  Keeping her feet propped up seems to help somewhat.