Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ready for Fall???

I just love, love the weather we've been having the past few days!  (I do feel so sorry for those getting the heaps and bounds of rain from Hurricane Isaac.  I am watching the news the past few days and it just looks so sad to have New Orleans get another big storm! )  There is no other blue that fits the sky perfectly than the blue sky today!  A few pure, white clouds float in the air.  The sun is warm and bright, yet not over powering it's strength!  This is exactly why May and September (I know it's still August but we are close to flipping the calendar page.) are my two most favorite months.

Fall is coming.  Are you ready?  I am never ready to say good bye to summer, but when the nights get that cool feel and the brisk air in the mornings is just awesome!  It makes me eager to get out my long sleeve clothing and warm up some apple cider!

Another thing that seems like fall is just around the corner are the "fall foods".  Pumpkins, Squash, Gingerbread flavors ... Oh, yeah!!! 

When I got some tomatoes the other day for my salsa, I also picked up a "Spaghetti Squash".  I've had this vegetable before and loved it.  However, I just wish the same enthusiasm would be with the rest of my family.  When they see something "new" on the dinner table, for some reason it automatically makes their noses turn up.  Annoying!  They did each try some (well, Hadassah's helping was the size of a nickle if that even counts)!  I thought it was tasty and yummy!

You should try it yourself ... here's how!

First buy yourself a Spaghetti Squash.  Lay it on a baking sheet with some water.  Poke the squash a few times with a sharp knife.  This helps to escape steam.  Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until you can easily stab it with a sharp knife.  

 Let it cool, then slice it open and discard all the seeds.
Like this ...


Then use a fork and scrape the yummy, yellow veggie.  It is really stringy and looks kinda like spaghetti (hence it's name)! 

Add a small dab of butter (or a lot if you prefer :)  ) and sprinkle with salt.  Enjoy!
 
However, since the squash wasn't a huge hit, I opted to make some fresh, homegrown from our garden, green beans.  I planted a few short rows later this summer and we are now reaping the wonderful benefits.  So good.  If my kids eat veggies by the hands full ... then green beans it is!!!  Ashlyn (and the other two) just love these!